Friday, December 17, 2010

I know it's only Rock and Roll... but I LIKE it!

This fall I got a chance to hang out with my favorite rock and roll band - The Satin Peaches! One of the reasons they are my favorite band is that my favorite boy is in it - Jesse! Jesse and me go way back. He's Frannie's brother, and I have known him since he was born. He was a very good player when he was a kid, and I like Jesse a lot. Recently I was looking at old home movies, and it warmed my heart to see me in his crib... somewhat squashed by the antics of his sister, but there I was!

When Wendy and I were in Detroit in October, she took me to the Magic Stick to see Jesse play. Imagine my surprise when he said I could sit in on the set! I was so excited! I could do a solo! Maybe join in on the drums! Maybe sing along with Jesse, standing there sharing a mic! I could barely contain myself!

I did not realize he meant I would be literally sitting in on the the set. Jesse found a good place for me right behind him, up on an amp. Wow, it was fun to watch people as they listened to the band, bobbing their heads, dancing, clapping, woot-woot-wooting! Afterward, I had to keep saying, "What?" a lot. Those boys are L-O-U-D! Thanks, TSP, for letting me join you on my first rock and roll adventure!

Just a few weeks later, The Satin Peaches were on a national tour and came to Seattle. I was so happy to find out that Ken invited the boys to stay at our place! Wendy was back in Detroit, so it was just 3/4 of TSP, Ken and me hanging out. A bunch of hip and cool primates, hanging on a Monday. My kind of scene, man. When the final 1/4 of TSP showed up, the boys posed for a picture with me. I would like to be a roadie for them, but I have a hard time carrying things that are bigger than me.

As Chuck Berry and the Beatles sang profoundly:

Just let me hear some of that rock and roll music, any old way you choose it. It's got a back beat, you can't blues it, any old time you use it. It's gotta be rock and roll music, if you wanna dance with me. If you wanna dance with me. 

(Hey - check out Jesse's new project - Jesse and the Gnome!)

No comments:

Post a Comment